The users of Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (GT-I9305) can update their devices to the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean via over the air (OTA) or through official tool KIES utility.
In case the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is available for your Galaxy S3 LTE but you are facing difficulties in updating the firmware through officially recommended process, you can try out a manual updating method explained below.
Official Firmware Details:
Android Version: 4.1.2 – Build JZO54K
Build Date: 12-12-12
Change list: 633241
Things to keep in mind before upgrading using the manual method:
- You must have a proper backup of your data
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S3 is fully charged
- You must have the USB drivers for your device installed on your computer
- USB Debugging must be enabled
- After flashing the firmware, you will lose custom ROMs such as CM10, Paranoid Android or AOKP installed in your device
- You will also lose custom recovery such as ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery if you have any
- After installing it on your Galaxy S3, you will lose root if you have any
- This tutorial uses Odin that only works on Windows. For other platforms like Linux and Mac OS, the users have to use cross platform tool Heimdall to flash this firmware.
Note – This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9305. Proceed at you own risk, TechZune will not be responsible for anything that goes wrong.
Steps To Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean:
Step 1: Download Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean (I9305XXBLL3) for Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9305) and extract the file.
Step 2: Download Odin 3.07 and extract the file.
Step 3: Power off your phone and wait for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
Step 4: Put the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305 in Download Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Home buttons while pressing the Power button until the Samsung Galaxy logo appears on the screen. After some time, your phone will be in the download mode.
Step 5: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy S3 I9305 with your PC via USB.
You will get a message saying “Added” under the Odin’s message box. In addition, if the device is connected properly, you will see the COM port with a number in Yellow.
Step 7: Select the following files in Odin at relevant tabs from extracted I9305XXBLL3 firmware folder:
- Click the PDA Button and select the .tar file here with *code* appearing in its name
- Click the Phone Button and select file with *modem* in its name (leave if there is no such file)
- Click the CSC Button and select file with *csc* in its name (leave if there is no such file)
- Click the PIT Button and select the .pit file. Use this file only if you get it while extracting in step 1 or else just ignore it.
Step 8: In Odin window, make sure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected. In addition, if you are using a .pit file, ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is selected. Otherwise, it should NOT be ticked.
Step 9: Click on the START button to begin the flashing process.
Step 10: Once flashing is done, you will see a PASS message with green background in the left-most box at the top of the Odin.
The phone will then automatically reboot and you will see the Samsung logo after sometime. After that, you can unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from the computer.